Italian Mac & Cheese Recipe. Pasta ai quattro formaggi.
Mac&Cheese is a staple of the American cuisine, but its lesser known Italian counterpart "4 formaggi", is just as delicious!
To be honest, the recipe is about the same, but you can choose different cheese for one version or another. Typically Mac&Cheese has an orange/reddish shade that comes from red cheddar or similarly coloured cheeses, which are very uncommon in Italy, where virtually every cheese is of a much paler colour.
We propose here the Italian version, feel free to replace the cheese with your local ones and turn this into your favourite comfort food!
Ingredients (4 people)
400g Regina dei Sibillini Maccheroni
100g Parmigiano Reggiano
Salt to taste
1. Bring abundant salted water to the boil.
2. Meanwhile, in a skillet, melt the butter, Gruyère, Taleggio and Gorgonzola on very low heat. Every time it starts to bubble, add a little milk to cool it down.
3. Add Maccheroni to the boiling water and let it cook until al dente
4. Drain the Maccheroni and toss in the skillet with the cheese, raise to a medium heat and leave for a few minutes.
5. Turn off the heat, add half the Parmigiano in the skillet and stir.
6. Serve and add the remaining Parmigiano directly on the plate.
Optional: you may choose to grind a pinch of white pepper if you like.